Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Behavior at School

**************** Ranting Warning*****************
Yesterday when I picked my boys up from school I found out they both had gotten bad marks on their daily agendas and almost had "color changes." To some parents this may be no big deal.....every kid has bad days right? Well I believe this is a prime teaching moment in a child's life.
So both my boys got to sit down and write an I'm sorry for my behavior note to their teachers. Which really means I got to sit down and make sure they did it correctly. And so flys by the next hour with crying and moaning on Ammon's part and calm slow breathing on my part. Brandon actually enjoyed it (well mostly).
When we were almost finished Ammon asked "Do I still get to go to cub scouts tomorrow?" To which I replied "yes...this is your punishment because you need to be responsible for your actions. I am not going to take away something that has nothing to do with what went wrong." I could see some understanding behind his eyes and I think he learned something important. Other kids in his class get "locked" (according to Ammon) in their rooms with no toys, can't go out and play, and can't do certain activities if they get a color change and yet the behavior still continues to happen.
Parents let take some quality time to teach real lessons when situations like this come up. It's not fun but it's important!!!

1 comment:

The Rowley Family said...

Good Point Melanie. I know Helo is years away from school, but I also know the lessons start now. I pray for the patience to rear him in the right direction. Love You. You are a GREAT Mommy!